Sunday 11 August 2013

New Name......New Home ......New Beginnings



As explained, after a while I get back in the cat carrier and travel 3.5 miles to my new residence.  Mum explains all about it on the journey: my new home is a farm, but I am not to be an outdoor farm cat who does not come in (good job too, I have had enough of being a fully outdoors cat) rather, I will be a cat who happens to live on a farm but can come in and out when he wants (this sounds much more to my liking!)  There is also a dog who lives here, and for the first few weeks I will have to stay inside to get accustomed to my new house.  Am really not sure about this, I am not stupid I can find my way back, and I need the outdoors ....but it's only for a short while and I will see what I can do to shorten this.  I am taken in the back door and into a large L shaped kitchen and have a further "snackette". 

No-one else is home, and Mum takes me on a tour. Weirdly, there are no stairs, so all the rooms are on one level, I assess the bedrooms (look good for me!) bathroom, study,  kitchen and then on to the lounge (small, but brilliantly placed for evening sunbathing!)  There is a garage accessed from the back porch and there are some cat beds in there.  Mum explains that my cat-flap will be fitted to the garage door, and we go into the lounge to sunbathe and have a “chutch” (I am unfamiliar with this word, but as it is important to “learn something new every day” I find out it is apparently a Lincolnshire word for "fussing up and stroking your cat".)  I deign to purr because I feel that I could be happy here - I will have to make them make some adjustments but not bad at all as a starting point.  I then meet Dad (Andy)  he is clearly less of a cat person than Mum but still okay, I shall have to get him trained accordingly.

Mum has called me my “new name” many times and I have been trying it out.....apparently it is spelt A-S-L-A-N and pronounced Azz-lann not Azz-larn. I quite like it, but it sounds a bit made up to me (though better than my original name which I will not divulge)  Mum says there is a famous series of books called “The Chronicles of Narnia” of which the most well known is, “The Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe”.  In it, there is a land called Narnia where a lion called Aslan is Lord of all...  I think this name will suit me just fine, it is suitably unusual and more importantly, regal.  And so, on this day full of adventures, I go to bed.  I am sleeping in the garage in a plastic cat bed with several cat duvets, and food and drink available.  I feel quite safe, comfortable and protected here, so after a perfunctory nose round, I fall fast asleep....after all as the famous movie line has it, “Tomorrow is another day”
These are Aslan lions - my namesakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment