Saturday 10 August 2013

July 1999

I've been living as a stray for a few months now, and although I have established my territory and do a daily tour, I long for a proper, forever home again and a loving human.  At my favourite house, several streets away, they always leave food out for me, and I let them stroke me when I am in their garden, but they say sorrowfully that I can't go and live there because their cat and dog would not like it.  They tell me they are looking for a home for me, and if they can't find one then they will approach a local cat shelter.  I like them because they always check on me, they're clearly animal lovers and they leave me food and shelter, "random acts of kindness can make a big difference".  So in many ways, I have the best of both worlds, which is nice while it is Summer, not sure if I fancy this when it turns cold and frosty.  They sometimes have the childrens' Grandma visit and she is clearly a cat lover, she always makes a big fuss of me, and says she wishes she could take me home herself.  This lady, Ruth, has a dog called Peter who comes over with her sometimes, he says to me, "Don't worry, we're on the case about finding you a forever family".  It turns out that Ruth lives in a village in Lincolnshire about 40 miles away, and a conversation has been taking place, which I am completely unaware of.  Ruth works with a couple whose daughter has just got married.  The daughter is used to having cats and wants one to share her new home, so she has made some enquiries and they would love to have me 

July 17th - seemed like just another day, but was totally life changing for me - "You never know what a day might bring, so look forward with hope"   I was enticed into the garden, had a nice afternoon feeling part of the family, and then before I quite knew what was happening, I was in a cat carrier in the back of Ruth's car.  Part of me was annoyed at having been taken in and falling into a trap, but I felt confident that Ruth and her family were animal lovers so I decided to sit back and enjoy the road-trip.  I watched the scenery for a while then fell in and out of sleep.  I did, of course, assert my presence with well timed "Wowls" every so often, and Ruth talked to me about where we were going and my new home anyway.  I thought to myself that if it didn't work out and I didn't like where I was going then I could always escape and look for a forever home.  After all, I had been doing that in Northampton, and could find a new patch at our destination quite easily I thought.

Eventually we arrived at a house and I was carried in reverentially in my cat carrier.  Ruth explained that she lives on this road, but this house is where my new Mum (Rebecca)'s Mum lives.   In the kitchen I get out the cat carrier and assess my surroundings.  Okay, nice house, cat food and water on offer, loving people about who treat me with total respect (as is my due, I am after all, a cat!)  Ruth leaves, and Rebecca and her Mum make a fuss of me.  I discern that two cats live here permanently, Kitfer and Murphy, but they are outside so I take advantage of this to help myself to some food, sit on Kitfer's cushion and have a wash, then wander over to my new Mum.  She is sitting on the floor and seems experienced around cats, so I bestow on her the great honour of falling asleep on her knee.  Mum's Mum (Grandma in this story) is amazed at how calm I seem to be.  "Take everything in your stride" is one of my mottoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment