Sunday 29 September 2013

February 2000


Disclaimer - okay apologies for the delay between the last blog entry and this one but looking through the archives (old farm diaries, my cat diaries, photo albums and notes etc) has just taken up soooo much of my time - not to mention laughing at some of the fashions and hairstyles..........!!!


So I have been very busy recently, and as it is the start of the year, the main activity on the farm is grading, boxing and bagging potatoes - and I supervise this.  All the activity takes place in the shed (excellent as it is marginally warmer, I can combine it with rodent patrol, and there is always a cushion, potato sack, bale of straw for me to sit on) 


A trailer load of potatoes comes into the shed, is tipped and the potatoes are sorted over a conveyor belt type thing (very noisy), the skanky  potatoes are picked out and the rest go into bags or boxes - it is all done from this machine, and is quite impressive.  Elsewhere on the farm, the old shed buildings are coming down (old wooden ones which are one of my stamping grounds but are falling to bits) and a new one is going up - this is a metal one.  There is always something going on down on the farm, and the workmen on the shed seem quite nice, one calls me, "Pusskat" and offers me some cheese (yum, my favourite thing....well, one of them!) And anyway, when I am bored I can go and have a sleep and feed in the garage or go on through to the lounge. It seems humans have not grasped the regular sleep/cat naps thing, and only sleep at night which is very strange.  


Also, I have learned what the words "honeymoon" and "cattery" mean......and they were not as bad as I had feared - "Face up to your fears, and be brave"  is a good lesson to learn.  It turns out that a honeymoon is a holiday after a wedding - Mum and Dad only had a week off after their wedding last year, and have had two weeks in Kenya (Mum said it was a one off "holiday of a lifetime" as it was a special occasion, and somewhere they have always wanted to go) which is in Africa.  So, I also had a holiday at a cattery - a kind of exec holiday home for discerning cats.  I liked Barbara the cattery owner very much, she left the radio on for us cats, there were heated pods to sleep in, ladders and sun lounge areas for us too. I also got to talk to a couple of neighbouring cats (in the next "apartments" to me) "it is very important to be interested in other people/cats/animals, after all, everyone has their story"


Mum and Dad has a great time in Africa (Mum said she saw some "real lions" - I am a real lion just a smaller version of one) and I loved being at the cattery although I liked coming home too. When the collected me, Barbara said, "He's been no trouble, he has not been bothered by anything and has eaten and purred well", Dad said, "Az cat takes everything in his stride" 

I think that is a real compliment, and something to live up to.  I was pleased to be home, and the next day, Will arrived back from his break at the other farm and we compared notes.  I have had a few new experiences this month, but it has been good!





this is me posing whilst sunbathing at the cattery ........................under my paws you can just see a stripey worm toy called "inch" that I took with me to the cattery and enjoyed playing with


No comments:

Post a Comment