Sunday 1 December 2013

February 2001

Lots to report this month:

It is a little bit warmer, so we have been out and about more. Alan and Janet (Dad's parents)have been on holiday to Cyprus, and when the came back there is a major farm issue to deal with.   Will is often at the other farm, and he comes back and tells me lots of things.  I've been watching the news, and there is an animal disease called "foot and mouth" which affects cloven animals ie cows, sheep, pigs, goats, deer etc.  This disease is highly infectious and can be spread through contact with contaminated farm equipment, feed, clothing and vehicles - and also by other animals.  The UK had been free for FMD but an outbreak has just been confirmed.

This is really serious.  For the poor affected animals it is serious, for their farmers too...and also for other farmers and everyone really.  A lot of national events have been cancelled and there are strict policies in place, and changes.  Both Will and Jake have to be on a lead now as they can't roam freely because the cows are still in place at the other farm.  There is a straw disinfectant barrier at the other farm (so Will tells me) and also, this obviously has an impact on the machinery being moved between our farms.  I feel so sorry for everyone concerned, "it is important to be compassionate and understand what others may be facing" and I can only hope it is sorted soon, although I am not sure how.  "We all need to reach out and help others where we can" and I know everyone around he is worried about and for the animals and farmers out there

On our farm, now it has thawed a bit, the fields are really boggy and underwater - in fact, Dad has been digging trenches to get the water off the land.  I declined to assist (even though I am a champion digger...Dad says it looks like I am attempting to dig my way to Australia whenever I dig a hole in the garden) as I do not want that much mud in my fur, but I did watch from a vantage point of the car bonnet - which was also warm - bonus!  He has also been replacing some of the perspex sheets in the chitting shed - I did go and help him with that.  I like the chitting shed, it has fascinating smells and nooks & crannies to explore, and it is also quite warm due to the large windows.  

Mum is still training in her new job - so this is all new and exciting as there is a lot to learn.  She has also had a phone call from someone she went to High School with called Julia (humans don't learn on their own apparently, they have to go out all day to learn things from age 4-18 (ish) )  Julia is organizing a school reunion...................I can't wait to see the outfits and photos!! Mum and Dad's friend Stuart has been for tea too - he is not a cat person, but "not-not" a cat person if you see what I mean, so he enjoyed having me on his knee for a bit as his parents had a cat like me when he lived at home when he was younger.  I do enjoy training people in "the art of chutching a cat"



also not a flattering photo, but this is Mum holding me wearing her "sheep fleece" - we called it this before the F&M outbreak

No comments:

Post a Comment